[B-Greek] A Question on 1 Timothy 2:6 and the meaning of, ANTILUTRON ?

Awohili at aol.com Awohili at aol.com
Mon Nov 6 14:41:11 EST 2006

Liddell-Scott-Jones (1996) gives for ANTI, in composition, "...4. in  return;
5. instead of; 6. equal to, like; 7. corresponding." (page 153)

Since LUTRON by itself means "ransom," it is reasonable to conclude that  the
apostle may have had a more significant thought in mind when he used
ANTILUTRON.  Any of LSJ's last four glosses may be relevant: a ransom in  return
(for); instead of; equal to or like; or corresponding.

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 11/06/2006 10:00:18 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,