[B-Greek] A Question on 1 Timothy 2:6 and the meaning of, ANTILUTRON ?

Webb webb at selftest.net
Mon Nov 6 13:41:28 EST 2006

ANTILUTRON simply means "ransom" (i.e. ransom payment). It's a synonym for
LUTRON. The ANTI part brings into focus the idea that I hand over the money,
and you hand over the hostage(s). In other words, ANTI emphasizes the trade
aspect: this in exchange for that. The word "corresponding" is not a helpful
gloss, in my opinion.

Webb Mealy