[B-Greek] Emphatic forms of pronouns following prepositions

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Mon Nov 6 15:23:07 EST 2006

In both the LXX and the NT only one preposition takes the enclitic form ME, and that is PROS, but
even PROS is occasionally used with EME. All other prepositions take EME without exception, so there
is no choice. There is no apparent difference in meaning or emphasis between ME and EME when used
with PROS, if that is what you are asking. In the case of EIS and all other prepositions, it is not
an option to use ME.

A fronted position is likely to indicate emphasis, but that is a different parameter. It is this
word order and the repetition of PISTEUETE that suggest the translation you have for John 14:1: "You
believe in God, believe also in me".

Iver Larsen