[B-Greek] Isaiah 45:14,15 in the LXX

Albert Pietersma albert.pietersma at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 6 13:16:56 EST 2006

On Nov 6, 2006, at 12:05 PM, Octavio Rodriguez wrote:

> Isaiah 45:
>
> 14
>  hOUTWS LEGEI KURIOS SABAWQ EKOPIASEN AIGUPTOS KAI EMPORIA AIQIOPWN
> KAI hOI
> SEBWIN ANDRES hUYHLOI EPI SE DIABHSONTAI KAI SOI ESONTAI DOULOI KAI
> OPISW
> SOU AKOLOUQHSOUSIN DEDEMENOI CEIROPEDAIS KAI PROSKUNHSOUSIN SOI KAI EN
> SOI
> PROSEUXONTAI hOTI EN SOI hO QEOS ESTIN KAI EROUSIN OUK ESTIN QEOS PLHN
> SOU
> 15
>  SU GAR EI QEOS KAI OUK HiDEIMEN hO QEOS TOU ISRAHL SWTHR
>

> Both, Hippolytus and Noetus (in "Against Noetus") regarded the pronoun
> "SU"
> of the verse 15 in reference to the same  person in which "hO QEOS
> ESTIN"
> before. Thus, both understood it as "For God is in thee[...]because
> you are
> God" (hOTI EN SOI hO QEOS[...]SU GAR EI QEOS).
>  I wonder if the grammar let this reading or may be the lack of "."
> and ","
> in the manuscripts at that time produced confussion to the readers.

NETS (Silva) translates the most relevant lines as:
 . . . because God is in you; and they will say,
“There is no god besides you.”
15 For you are God and we did not know it,
 O God of Israel, Savior.

It seems to me "God/god" in 15a refers in the first instance to "god"
in 14.  Note that both instances  of QEOS are anarthrous and seemingly
generic.  On the other hand, QEOS in "because God is in you" is
arthrous  (O QEOS) and thus refers to the one God.
The two Patres you cite apparently read O QEOS in 15, as do some other
witnesses, and therefore read it reference to O QEOS in 14, hence the
one God.
Al

> Regards
> Octavo Rodriguez

—
Albert Pietersma
Professor of Septuagint and Hellenistic Greek
Near & Middle Eastern Civilizations
University of Toronto
Home: 21 Cross Street,
Weston ON Canada M9N 2B8