[B-Greek] The Lord is one (person)

Anthony Buzzard anthonybuzzard at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 5 15:24:10 EST 2006

Thanks to Yancy Smith and to Iver about the proper way to translate
the Greek KURIOS HO THEOS EMON KURIOS EIS ESTIN (Mark 12:29). A
learned article in JETS by Daniel Bock "How Many is God? An
Investigation into the Meaning of Deut. 6:4-5 (June 2004, pp.
193-212) says that "the unambiguous meaning of the Greek NT
(following LXX) of Mark 12:29 is ''the LORD our GOD is one LORD."
Apparently that view is not as certain as he thinks.
You suggest that "the Lord is One" makes better logical sense of the
second half of the verse in the Greek.
I note that you add (person) after one (EIS).
The phrase "God is one" (person) occurs a number of times in the NT.
The Amplified version at Gal. 3:20 has "God is only one Person."
NASU "God is only one."
Would it be right to say that the meaning of "God is one" is, in view
of the masculine numeral following, "God is only one person"?  Just
as in Rom. 5 the Greek which speaks of the "disobedience of the one"
(TOU ENOS) means the disobedience of one person (ie Adam).
Anthony.

Visit our website at www.restorationfellowship.org