[B-Greek] Modern Greek pronunciation

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Sat Nov 4 11:50:08 EST 2006

Carl Thomas wrote:
> I'm just starting my Greek NT class (unfortunately I'm doing this on my
> own). Should I finish this class  and then go back learn to read the NT
> with a modern Greek pronunciation?

No need to begin at the beginning merely for the sake of pronunciation.
  It's comprehension that matters, not the way you pronounce the words.
  You say po-taa-toe and I say po-tah-toe....  The whole debate about
modern v. Ersamian pronunciation is a distraction, in my estimation
simply because it major's on something quite minor.  After all, and
again, it's comprehension that matters.

Best

Jim

--