[B-Greek] Greek and Latin

A. J. Birch a_j_birch at yahoo.es
Sat Nov 4 08:00:17 EST 2006

Dear 'B-Greekers',

On the (regular) subject of the pronunciation of New Testament Greek (etc.),
I would be interested to hear (from Classicists, etc., 'out there') about
the relationship between Greek and Latin. I realize that the evolution of
every language is unique, but, given the traditionally close relationship
between Greek and Latin, I would like to know what people think about the
similarities and / or differences between the way Greek and Latin have
evolved over, say, the past 2,000 years. For example, can the same be said
about the relationship between Latin and modern Italian as is being said (by
quite a few people) about the relationship between ancient Greek and modern
Greek? Should modern Italian be used as a guide to the way in which Latin
texts should be pronounced? I think this is enough to get across the gist of
what I'm asking about.

Andrew J. Birch
Palma de Mallorca, Spain