[B-Greek] Jn 7:22 DIA TOUTO

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Nov 4 07:14:36 EST 2006

I confess that I didn't find the conventional usage of DIA TOUTO as
"For this reason ... " or "That's why ... " works very well at the
beginning of of 7:22 -- and in that respect, I agree with Iver's
concerns. But I find the suggestion that DIA TOUTO belongs at the end
of Jn 7:21b unconvincing also. The examples cited by Iver (way down
below -- I prefer here to respond above the cited prior
correspondence) all involve DIA and an accusative object -- but NONE
OF THEM involves TOUTO. What I find most problematic about the
suggestion that DIA TOUTO stands at the end of 7:21b and means simply
"for that reason" is that TOUTO is a demonstrative pronoun, and it
seems odd to me that a demonstrative pronoun should be the final
element in a clause, particularly if, as Iver notes in an aside at
the end of his discussion below, this DIA TOUTO in final position is
not at all emphatic.

I don't know what an adequate explanation for DIA TOUTO may be
(evidently there's no real textual problem here) might be (perhaps,
"And for that matter ..."? -- but I'm not sure we could find similar
usage in other instances of DIA TOUTO) but I still find it difficult
to believe that a demonstrative (hOUTOS/hAUTH/TOUTO is a
demonstrative, isn't it?) should be situated at the very end of a
clause and still not be at all emphatic.