[B-Greek] Greek letters

Kevin W. Woodruff cierpke at prodigy.net
Fri Nov 3 19:31:11 EST 2006

Carl:

Well the hard "j" didn't really exist in Hebrew/Aramaic or Greek. It had more of a "y" sound. Remember Greek and Hebrew existed before English, which basically a Latin alphabet.  Since Jack is usually considered as an informal version of "John," Ioannes, it most likely would have been written as VIwa,nnhj (Iota-Omega-Alpha-Nu-Nu-Eta-Sigma) rather that Iota -Alpha-Kappa VIa,k (Jak)

Kevin

Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
Cierpke at prodigy.net http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm