[B-Greek] Acts 2:16 - Holy Spirit = TOUTO w/no antecedent

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Nov 3 19:23:46 EST 2006

On Nov 3, 2006, at 5:12 PM, Jason Kerrigan wrote:

> Carl,
>
>   Thanks for your responses. I would like to point something out to
> you
>   in relation to what you said.
>
>   You said:
>
>   I don't think this TOUTO refers specifically to the Holy Spirit but
> rather to the phenomenon of the speaking. I think that TOUTO here
> refers to"what you are seeing and hearing."
>
>   I agree that it was what they were "seeing and hearing," and in
> fact this
>   is one of the primary indicators that this is specifically
> referring to the
>   Holy Spirit, because Peter goes on to say:
>
>   "... having received of the Father the promise of the Holy
> Spirit, he
>   hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear." (Acts 2:32)
>
>   What do you think?

We're dealing with the Greek text rather than the KJV translation of
it; that is what you ought to be citing if you're really asking a
question about the Greek text.

2:32 TOUTON TON IHSOUN ANESTHSEN hO QEOS,  hOU PANTES hHMEIS ESMEN
MARTURES. 33 THi DEXIAi OUN TOU QEOU hUYWQEIS THN TE EPAGGELIAN TOU
PNEUMATOS TOU hAGIOU LABWN PARA TOU PATROS EXECEEN TOUTO hO hUMEIS
KAI BLEPETE KAI AKOUETE

I can see that you might argue that the verb EXECEEN which takes
TOUTO as its object implies that it is the spirit itself that is the
object and which must also be the antecedent of hO in the relative
clause at the end of verse 33 -- but I am inclined to think that
"this which you see and hear" does not refer so much to the Spirit as
to what it has produced and what is now being attested in what is
seen and heard.

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/