[B-Greek] Greek letters

Kevin W. Woodruff cierpke at prodigy.net
Fri Nov 3 16:06:28 EST 2006

The letter "j" is a transliteration of the Greek letter "iota," which is the transliteration of the Hebrew/Aramaic letter "yod." The letter "j" was a modification of the Latin letter "I" to signify that it was being used as a consonant and not as a vowel. this was first done in the 16th century.

Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
Cierpke at prodigy.net http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm