[B-Greek] Jn 7:22 DIA TOUTO

Oun Kwon kwonbbl at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 11:05:23 EST 2006

On 11/2/06, Carl W. Conrad <cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu> wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2006, at 9:20 AM, Oun Kwon wrote:
>
> > I'm unsure of the verse break vv Jn 7:21 & 22.
> >
> > Jn 7:21b  hEN ERGON EPOIHSA KAI PANTES QAUMAZETE
> > Jn 7:22a  DIA TOUTO MWUSHS DEDWKEN hMIN THN PERITOMHN
> >
> > Shouldn't DIA TOUTO belong to the end of v. 21 to explain QAUMAZETE
> > (shocked BY IT)?
>
> DIA TOUTO doesn't mean "by it" but "for this reason." What 7:22 says
> is "That's why Moses gave us circumcision ... "
> There are 131 instances of DIA TOUTO in the GNT, all of them at the
> beginnning of a clause.

I just found the source of my question. I am copying the footnote on
DIA TOUTO here from the Translator's New Testament (1973) by British
and Foreign Bible Society:

The literal translation is 'on account of this'. Two different
punctuations are found in modern translations: (1) If the full stop
follows 'by it', the meaning is that Jesus did a miracle on the
Sabbath and the Jews were shocked by it. (2) If the stop is put before
'by it' we read 'on account of this Moses gave you the rite of
circumcision', which would imply that Moses did so in order that the
Sabbath should be broken. Since this seems unnatural, TT has adopted
(1).

Here I do not agree with their argument 'in order that the Sabbath
should be broken'.   The idea must be 'to follow what Moses commanded
for circumcision rites, Sabbath may have to be broken'.

What I was curious was whether there is something definite (rather
than discretionary) to tell where to keep DIA TAUTO. In this
particular example, the context and usage may allow to keep this at
the end of the preceding verse though I see that many instances of
this appearing at the beginning of a clause.

Oun Kwon.