[B-Greek] En and Eis

yancywsmith yancywsmith at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 2 01:24:34 EST 2006

I agree with Iver on this one about the passage in Mark and about the
Hebrew and OT background he brings to bear on the translation issue.
On the other hand, I think the confession is ambiguous enough in
Greek that it could have been read an several ways by different
Hellenistic Jews, Jewish Christians and Gentile Christ followers.

Without the "dummy" subject "there," my translation (of the Greek)
would represent one possible way of reading these Greek words: KURIOS
hO QEOS hHMON KURIOS hEIS ESTIN. Thus,

The Lord [is] our God! [Only] one is Lord.

For Paul, this could mean that
Caesar is not really Lord
Nor is Sarapis really Lord
and even the big shot inviting you to a banquet to eat meat
sacrificed to an idol is not Lord. Nor is the idol Lord.
Christ is Lord.

The use of Adonay and KURIOS as substitutes for the ineffable divine
name may have had the effect of canceling the "name" connection of
KURIOS in certain contexts, note how Paul compares KURIOS with KURIOI
in 1 Cor 8. However I do not mean by this that, if asked, Paul or any
other 1st century Jew would have been unaware of YHWH behind the
category title,  e.g. KURIOS, in Phil 2:10 is still "the name that is
above every name" i.e., YHWH.

Yancy Smith
yancywsmith at sbcglobal.net
5636 Wedgworth Rd.