[B-Greek] En and Eis

yancywsmith yancywsmith at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 1 23:36:04 EST 2006

Anthony,

Just another thought, to mess with dichotomy. On AKOUE ISRAHL KURIOS
hO QEOS hHMON KURIOS hEIS ESTIN, I'm not sure we can solve this
equation with Greek grammar alone. It is a bit of a rorschach test.
However, if we take what may very well be St. Paul's reading of this
confession in 1 Cor 8:6 we get:

ALL' hHMIN hEIS QEOS hO PATHR EX hOU TA PANTA KAI hHMEIS EIS AUTON
KAI *hEIS KURIOS* IHSOUS CRISTOS DI hOU TA PANTA KAI hHMEIS DI AUTOU

for Paul to come up with this interpretation (i.e that KURIOS may be
applied to both God the Father and to his mediator in creation, Jesus
Christ), seems he would have had to read KURIOS as predicate
nominative and hEIS as suject. So far, that agrees with your
translation. However,  I suppose if we supplied a verb here, it would
be ÉSTIN (accent on the E), "there is." So, another translation of
AKOUE ISRAHL KURIOS hO QEOS hHMON KURIOS hEIS ESTIN might be:

The Lord [is] our God! There is one Lord.

best wishes,

Yancy Smith
yancywsmith at sbcglobal.net
5636 Wedgworth Rd.