[B-Greek] En and Eis

frjsilver at optonline.net frjsilver at optonline.net
Wed Nov 1 21:00:52 EST 2006

Dear Friends --

There's no great semiotic difference between these two forms, although EIS is more (but not exclusively) likely to be used to mean 'into', while EN is more (but not exclusively) likely to be used to mean 'in'.  In proper contexts, the same is true of forms meaning 'one'.

But consider this -- purely a matter of diction --  the first line of the Nikaian Symbol:
PISTEUW EIS hENA QEON PATERA PANTOKRATORA.

Please remember that the aspirate, while usually written in formal texts, had generally fallen out of pronunciation several centuries before these words were written.  It was important for aural comprehension to use EIS here.

Peace and blessings to all.

Father James Silver

Monk James
Orthodox Church in America