[B-Greek] Question about How Clement uses the cardinal hEN in "The Instructor"

yancywsmith yancywsmith at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 1 15:06:57 EST 2006

My apologies to the list without a heading. And to George because he
got it three times.

Estimado Octavio:

The relevant text from Instructor 1.8 in unicode form is:

1.8
   οὐδὲν ἄρα μισεῖται ὑπὸ τοῦ
θεοῦ,ἀλλ’ οὐδὲ ὑπὸ τοῦ λόγου· ἓν
γὰρ ἄμφω, ὁ θεός, ὅτι εἶπεν "ἐν
ἀρχῇ ὁ λόγος ἦν ἐν τῷ θεῷ, καὶ
θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος". Εἰ δὲ οὐ μισεῖ
τῶν ὑπ’ αὐτοῦ γενομένων οὐδέν,
λείπεται φιλεῖν αὐτό.

b-greek beta code:
OUDEN ARA MISEI hUPO TOU QEOU, ALL OUDE hUPO TOU LOGOU; hEN GAR AMFW
hO QEOS, hOTI EIPEN "EN ARCH hO LOGOS HN EN TWi QEWi, KAI QEOS HN hO
LOGOS." EI DE OU MISEI TWN UP' AUTOU GENOMENWN OUDEN, LEIPETAI FILEIN
AUTO.

translation:
Therefore nothing [of creation] is hated by God, but neither [is it
hated] by the Logos. For both are one thing, [that is] the god (i.e.
God), since it said (John 1:1 paraphrased) "In the beginning the
Logos was in God, and the Logos was God." And if he does not hate
anything of what comes into existence by him, it follows [that he]
loves it.

comment:
The use of "hEN" is very similar its appearance in John 10:30 EGW KAI
hO PATHR hEN ESMEN

The "one thing" of the two spirit-beings God and the Logos (however
it is conceived) is a neuter abstract. The "hEN" makes sense if you
realize that "God" or "the god" is not a proper noun but a common noun.

Best wishes,

Yancy Smith
yancywsmith at sbcglobal.net
5636 Wedgworth Rd.