[B-Greek] some more body functions for KOINE

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 13:24:54 EST 2006

While reading Yona in LXX I ran across some funny stuff and thought-provoking.
I'll list a couple of points, without checking if they are previous on
this list or their scholarly discussion.

1. Hebrew to 1:5c 'and lay down (to sleep) and fell deeply asleep
vayeradam (pausal for vayyeradem).' The LXX rather graphically has
KAI EKAQEUDEN KAI ERREGXEN
and was sleeping and was SNORING away. Nice translation. Attention-getting.
The follow up (1:6) is just as lively, if not consistent:
TI SU REGXEIS? Why are you snoring?

2. The boat in 1:3 is mentioned as
KAI EUREN PLOION BADIZON EIS QARSIS
'he found a boat stepping out to Tarshish.

When I first started giving commands in a classroom to 'walk to the
door' I used words like periPAtei.
This has in its favor that fact that it is used in the NT, but I felt
uncomfortable since it is not typically used directionally. Another
Greek word is available BADISON (BADISAI/BADIZEIN 'to walk, step,
march'. I would currently prefer to say BADISON EIS THN QURAN.)
Here in Jona, it stretches this usage and one wonders if it carries
enough of its origin to add something picturesque. Or was it so dead
as to mean simply 'go'?

ERRWSQE
Randall Buth

--