[B-Greek] Classical Greek text

Alex and Alison Hopkins alexali at surf.net.au
Tue Mar 21 08:27:48 EST 2006

On Mar 19, 2006, at 10:54 PM, David McKay wrote:

> I'm looking at one of the few resources available through our local
university library. It's the Joint Association of Classical Teachers
Greek Course called "Reading Greek" and includes a text and another
volume of grammar, vocab and exercises.

> It is dated 1978.
>
> Is it well known?
>
> Is it any good?
>
> Looks Ok to this little black duck.

I was interested to see Carl's response, from which I quote a little:

>In one of my more recent posts on learning Greek, I wrote about
"Reading Greek": ""I confess that in the course of my teaching from the
JACT Reading Greek I found it necessary to construct my own
supplementary grammatical materials to distribute to my classes to
assist them to use traditional grammars to answer their questions and to
be able to talk about how the language works in courses with other
instructors to which they would move on from my Beginning Greek course.
I always had mixed feelings about this grammar: that it is a necessary
evil: both necessary and an evil. What one needs the grammar for is
analysis of HOW a Greek text works; one doesn't really need it in order
to learn to read or speak the language. The grammar is a metalanguage to
be used to discuss how the language works.  Frankly, I have come to
think that Randall Buth is right in thinking that, insofar as this
metalanguage of grammar is necessary, it really would be better to use
Greek for the grammatical metalanguage if the language one is trying to
learn is Greek."

Thirty odd years ago Monash Uni in Melbourne used Chase and Phillips 'A
New Introduction to Greek', and so that text introduced me to Greek.  In
the intervening years I have heard of and seen the JACT text but never
purchased it or used it.  However, my daughter is three weeks into her
first year of Greek at Monash and I was interested to learn that my
parental cash was now being used to purchase JACT.  Josephine tells me
that her lecturer recommends that students acquire Morwood's 'The Oxford
Grammar of Classical Greek' (OUP, 2001), as she (the lecturer) feels
that the grammatical explanations in JACT aren't sufficiently clear,
which resonates with Carl's remark, "I found it necessary to construct
my own supplementary grammatical materials to distribute to my classes".

Alex Hopkins
Melbourne, Australia

PS David, Which uni is your local one now?  Are you back somewhat north
of Melbourne?