[B-Greek] Word Study on TWi ANGELWi in Revelation 2:12 & other verses

David Bielby dbielby at bloomingtonvineyard.org
Wed Mar 15 12:53:46 EST 2006

Dear Big Greeks,

I'm exegeting Revelation for a sermon series right now.  As I've been
working through

Chapters 2-3 I have noticed there is a little debate on the term TWi
ANGELWi in verses

like Rev 2:12

KAI TWi ANGELWi THS EN PERGAMWi EKKLHSIAS GRAYON..

When I do a word study on ANGELOS in Revelation, it seems to be a real
supernatural

being that is referenced.  For example in Rev. 5:2 and all the other
references are almost certainly

heavenly angels.(5:2 says: KAI EIDON ANGELON ISXURON KHRUSSONTA.) But in
Rev. 2 & 3

many seem reluctant to interpret it that way.

My question is this:  Where can I find word studies that would help me
see why this should

not be interpreted as a real supernatural angel?  Am I seeing the
influence of modernity in the

word definition application here?

Thanks for any assistance on this.

David Bielby