[B-Greek] 1 Peter 3:20-21

Carl W.Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Mar 9 14:57:55 EST 2006

On Mar 9, 2006, at 11:40 AM, Richard Lindeman wrote:

> 1 Peter 3:20-21 DIESWQHSAN DI hUDATOS.  hO KAI hUMAS ANTITUPON VUN
> SWZEI BAPTISMA

VUN? NUN?

> I translate as "That which now saves you, baptism"
>
> My focus is on the relative pronoun hO.  I was reading in BDAG this
> morning that hOS is often found to be a relative pronoun with a
> demonstrative hidden inside of it. Therefore, am I correct in my
> assumption that hO above should be translated "that which". And the
> relative part of the pronoun "which" is having as its antecedent
> hUDWR while the demonstrative part of the same pronoun "that" is
> pointing forward to BAPTISMA?

Yes,   hUDATOS is probably best understood as the antecedent of this
hO; but if that's the case, you don't need to SUPPLY an antecedent
within the relative clause That's how BDAG s.v. ANTITUPOS/ON ¤1
understands it: "In a compressed statement, with rescue through water
as the dominant theme o¤ (i.e. hO (i.e. hUDWR) KAI hUMAS ANTITUPON
NUN SWiZEI BAPTISMA baptism correspondingly now saves you, i.e. the
salvation of Noah and family via water (diÆ u¢dato§), which supported
the ark, is the TUPOS for the salutary function of the water  of
baptism 1 Pt 3:21."

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/