[B-Greek] 1 Peter 3:20-21

Richard Lindeman oblchurch at msn.com
Thu Mar 9 14:35:24 EST 2006

Sorry... I was so focused on the relative pronoun that I neglected to give the complete translation:

1 Peter 3:20-21 DIESWQHSAN DI hUDATOS.  hO KAI hUMAS ANTITUPON VUN SWZEI BAPTISMA
I translate as "They were saved through water. That which now saves you as a type, baptism"

I still have the same question: Should hO above be translated "that which". And the relative part of the pronoun "which" is having as its antecedent hUDWR while the demonstrative part of the same pronoun "that" is pointing forward to BAPTISMA?

Thanks!

Rich Lindeman