[B-Greek] AUTOU in Romans 8:9

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue Mar 7 16:46:26 EST 2006

On Mar 7, 2006, at 2:18 PM, Ron Fay wrote:

> Romans 8:9 ends with the phrase hOUTOS OUK ESTIN AUTOU.

The fuller text: EI DE TIS PNEUMA CRISTOU OUK ECEI, hOUTOS OUK ESTIN
AUTOU.

> The natural grammatical antecedant seems to be XRISTOU from earlier
> in the
> verse, yet the sense of Paul's argument makes me want to connect
> AUTOU to
> QEOU (I am disregarding PNEUMA, though it is a grammatical
> possibility).
>
> What do you think? Do I have a leg to stand on in connecting AUTOU
> to QEOU?

I certainly think that CRISTOU must be the antecedent of AUTOU. The
construction is what I was taught to call a "predicate genitive": He
who does not have Christ's spirit doesn't belong to Him" (or, if you
prefer, "is not His").

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/