[B-Greek] 1 Cor 15:44

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon Mar 6 07:15:11 EST 2006

On Mar 6, 2006, at 7:01 AM, Octavio Rodriguez wrote:

> Dear Sir:
>
> 1 Cor 15:44
>   ESTIN SWMA YUCIKON KAI ESTIN SWMA PNEUMATIKON
>
>  I can undestand YUCIKON  the opposite of PNEUMATIKON
>
> Is it YUCIKON synonymous of material?

Probably "material" in the sense that word has since Descartes is not
really appropriate, but if you wanted to use the questionably English
word "fleshly" for YUCIKOS/H/ON, it might be more appropriate. The
sense of YUCIKOS derives, I think, from the LXX translation of
Genesis 2:7, KAI EPLASEN hO QEOS TON ANQRWPON COUN APO THS GHS KAI
ENEFUSHSEN EIS TO PROSWPON AUTOU PNOHN ZWHS KAI EGENETO hO ANQRWPOS
EIS YUCHN ZWSAN. here YUCHN ZWSAN conveys in Greek the sense of the
Hebrew "nefesh chayya," variously Englished as "a living soul" (KJV),
or "living being" (NET), aliter ab aliis. "Creature" might be better,
inasmuch as the sense is "living organism." "Creature" does imply the
work of a creator, but it also implies an organism that is
independent (more or less) in the created world. I think that YUCIKOS/
H/ON might be conveyed by "creaturely" in antithesis to PNEUMATIKOS/H/
ON, which implies, I think, something other than and transcending a
"mere" SWMA YUCIKON. Some have Englished YUCIKOS/H/ON as "natural."
That might do pretty well too, if you think of PNEUMATIKOS/H/ON as
"supernatural."

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/