[B-Greek] OYE in Matthew 28:1

Iver Larsen iver at larsen.dk
Sun Mar 5 06:58:54 EST 2006

> deHaan egrapsen
>> Matthew 28:1  OYE DE SABBATWN THi EPIFWSKOUSHi EIS MIAN SABBATWN, HLQEN
>> MARIAM MAGDALHNH KAI hH ALLE MARIA QEWRHSAI TON TAFON.
>>
>> I am wondering if the word OYE means "after" or if the meaning is really
>> "late".
>> There is no confusion when Mary and Mary (BTW why is one spelled MIRIAM and
>> the other MIRIA?) went to the grave. THi EPIFWSKOUSHi EIS MIAN SABBATWN
>> makes that clear enough.
>> But it does make a difference if we are trying to determine if the Jews
>> considered the Sabbath to end at day-break or maybe in the evening.
>> Compare; Late on the Sabbath, towards the dawn of the first day of the week,
>> with; After the Sabbath towards the dawn of the first day of the week.
>>
>> Thank you
>> Bert de Haan.
>
> I am glad that there is no confusion when Mary and Mary went to the
> grave.  I would agree that Matthew has made Saturday sundown clear
> enough. (Though your email wording "Jews considered the Sabbath to end
> at daybreak" makes me think you are referring to Sunday morning.)
> PLease note how the very rare word EPIFWSKOUSIH is used in Luke 23:54
> for clearly referring to Friday sundown.

If this is clear enough, it is surprising that not a single translation has accepted this interpreration.
Is it not the case that the Hebrew expression for "twilight" (neshef?) can refer to either sunrise or sunset?

Similarly, cannot the Greek EPIFWSKW refer to when either the moon, morning star or the sun starts to shine? The word
used in the LXX is EPIFAUSKW, but only occurs in Job 25:5, 31:16 and 41:9/10 as far as I could find out. In one case the
word refers to the shining of the moon, in another the shining of the sun and in the third apparenty the shining of the
morning star.
Therefore, I would like to see more evidence for the range of meaning of these words than the single occurrence in Luke
23:54 where the context makes the evening reference clear. If Matt 28:1 is taken to refer to the onset of the moonlight
rather than sunlight, would that suggest that the two women kept vigil at the tomb during the night? At the Passover you
would have a full moon. Or maybe they went there and stayed for some time and then went home in order to return at
daybreak as the other Gospels tell us? It would then not be clear when they told the disciples, during the night or next
morning (v. 8).

The other question is the range of meaning of OYE. Although the more common sense is "late", according to the various
dictionaries I have of both Classical and NT Greek, the word can also mean "some time after" or "even long after."

So, in order to be convincing, one would need to do a thorough research of the range of meaning of both of these words,
and you are probably doing that in your forthcoming paper. It would be interesting to get a copy when it is ready, but
maybe you could address briefly these two key words? I assume that you are also speculating about a Hebrew vorlage for
the Matthew narrative and making suggestions based on that. It would have been helpful to have had access to the
presumed original Hebrew text of Matthew's gospel.

Thanks,
Iver Larsen