[B-Greek] Future MP1?

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Mar 4 16:54:41 EST 2006

On Mar 4, 2006, at 2:42 PM, Mitch Larramore wrote:

> I feel reasonably confident that this question will
> not be worded properly, but here goes? Dr. Conrad has
> argued, if I understand him correctly, that the
> QHN/QHS/QH Aorist "Passive" (using traditional
> terminology) should be Aorist MP, Middle/Passive. Does
> this same principle apply to the Future Middle and
> Future Passive morphoparadigms? (Because, if not, then
> the Future is the ONLY Greek Tense with truly separate
> Middle and Passive semantic forms, right?)

No, it certainly applies to the future QH forms also. Note that as in
the case of the aorist QH forms, some are pretty clearly passive in
sense but others are not, especially those that in traditional
terminology were called "deponents": DUNHQHSOMAI, POREUQHSOMAI.
Others, such as EGERQHSOMAI may carry either middle ("I shall rise")
or passive ("I shall be raised") in sense.

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/