[B-Greek] OYE in Matthew 28:1

Bert de Haan b_dehaan at sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 4 10:56:30 EST 2006

Matthew 28:1  OYE DE SABBATWN THi EPIFWSKOUSHi EIS MIAN SABBATWN, HLQEN
MARIAM MAGDALHNH KAI hH ALLE MARIA QEWRHSAI TON TAFON.

I am wondering if the word OYE means "after" or if the meaning is really
"late".
There is no confusion when Mary and Mary (BTW why is one spelled MIRIAM and
the other MIRIA?) went to the grave. THi EPIFWSKOUSHi EIS MIAN SABBATWN
makes that clear enough.
But it does make a difference if we are trying to determine if the Jews
considered the Sabbath to end at day-break or maybe in the evening.
Compare; Late on the Sabbath, towards the dawn of the first day of the week,
with; After the Sabbath towards the dawn of the first day of the week.

Thank you
Bert de Haan.