[B-Greek] Phil 2:17 genitive PISTEWS

RRedden604 at aol.com RRedden604 at aol.com
Wed Mar 1 13:18:45 EST 2006

Opps, I should have set off Ivers' comment with quotes.  I will  correct it
in this email:

Ivers says

"NIV talks about the sacrificial service "coming from  your faith". If anyone

can explain to me what that is supposed to
mean, I'll be grateful.
Most  versions keep the unclear genitive  "sacrifice and service of your
faith", even  though an English genitive  does not
work here.
TEV says "an offering on  the sacrifice that  your faith offers to God." I
have no idea what that is  intended to  mean."

UBS Handbook seems to grasp the connection and possible meaning of  these
translations.

"The identification of the subject of the  offering depends on the analysis
of the genitive construction  "offering of your faith." The ambiguity of this

construction is  reflected in the various translations. It is interpreted by
some  as  "the offering is your faith"; thus JB has "offering—which is your
faith"
(cf.  NEB "that sacrifice which is the offering up of your faith"). Mft
provides a  variation of this interpretation by identifying the agent  as
"you,"
thus "the  sacred sacrifice of faith you are offering to  God." These
renderings
regard  "faith" as the thing offered. Another  possibility, adopted by TEV,
is
to take  the construction in the sense  of "your faith offers something
(sacrifice). The  context makes it  clear that it is not Paul who is offering
the
sacrifice, but  the  Philippians. Furthermore, what the Philippians offer is
not
their  faith;  rather their new-found faith is the source or the impulse for
that
offering. The  sacrifice which their faith offers is probably their  gifts to
Paul, for these  constitute a sacrifice on their part (cf.  Phil 2:30 and
especially  4:18)"   (UBS Translator Handbook  Series)

Rob Redden

---
B-Greek home page:  http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek
B-Greek mailing  list