[B-Greek] OT What's it called?

John McChesney-Young panis at pacbell.net
Fri Jun 9 17:21:47 EDT 2006

"CSharp Online Editor" <editor at csharp-online.net> asked:

>What is the proper name of that little satin ribbon attached to the book
>spine and used for a bookmark?

The usual technical term is a "register." See:


A few alternative names can be found here:


There was some discussion of this on the old Stumpers-l (a list for 
difficult reference questions, replaced by the Project Wombat list).

http://tinyurl.com/z3bwu (use Google cache for the hits; the 
transition from the old list to the new one wasn't as smooth as might 
have been hoped)


*** John McChesney-Young  **  panis~at~pacbell.net  **   Berkeley, 
California, U.S.A.  ***

More information about the B-Greek mailing list