[B-Greek] -IKOS nouns in 1 Cor 15:44

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Apr 28 10:50:56 EDT 2006

On Apr 28, 2006, at 10:40 AM, justin rogers wrote:

> Hello:
>      Could someone please comment on nouns with the -IKOS suffix?
> N.T.
> Wright said in a lecture at Crighton College in 2003 that -IKOS
> nouns refer
> to animation, and not substance. Thus "fleshly" and "spiritual" are
> not good
> translations of YUMATIKOS and PNEUMATIKOS in 1 Cor 15:44. Rather we
> should
> say "flesh-animated" and "spirit-animated." I cannot find any help
> from my
> grammars. Thank you.

If your question is really about the -IKOS suffix, it was answered by
Scott Socking when you first raised this question two days ago: the
adjectival suffix -IKOS means simply "relating to," "having to do
with"; it has nothing to do with "animation." Assuming that you mean
YUCIKOS rather than the non-existent YUMATIKOS, Wright's comment more
likely relates to the root elements YUC- and PNEUMAT-. YUCIKOS
evidently is derived from the LXX translation of Genesis 1:7 where
YUCH is the Greek used to convey the Hebrew NeFeSH, the word for
organic creaturely existence in an earthly body enlivened by the
breath of God. The standard view, which I think is correct, is that
YUCIKOS refers to ordinary creaturely organic life.

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/