[B-Greek] LXX Greek vs NT Greek

Albert Pietersma albert.pietersma at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 25 22:41:36 EDT 2006

Dear Gene,
Needless to say, the subject you raise is complex and could fill
volumes. Moreover, as the Greek of the NT is diverse, so is the Greek
of the LXX, ranging all the way from normal, compositional Greek (e.g.
2 Maccabees) to rather outlandish translationese (e.g. Ecclesiastes,
which sports [Greek] SUN  + accusative for the so-called nota
accusativi of Hebrew [as noted by Harold Holmyard]).

Even if we restrict ourselves to translation Greek, there is still a
wide variety, ranging from  a book such as Job, which features none the
tell-tale features noted by  Harold to (again) Ecclesiastes, which
features some 'non-Greek Greek'.

According to Gideon Toury (cf. Descriptive Translation Studies and
Beyond) translation literature typically reflects linguistic influence
from its source text. He then distinguishes between (1) positive
transfer (i.e. overuse of  attested usages of the target language), and
(2) negative transfer (i.e. inventing usages not viable in standard
Greek).

You may benefit from reading To the Reader of NETS, an introduction to
A New English Translation of the Septuagint, which can be accessed at
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/edition/ . I'd be happy to discuss with
you the details of that essay.
Al
On Apr 25, 2006, at 7:58 PM, Gene Gardner wrote:

> Could the learned scholars of the list, please discuss any of the
> obvious differences in the two.
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Gene Gardner

—
Albert Pietersma
Professor of Septuagint and Hellenistic Greek
Near & Middle Eastern Civilizations
University of Toronto
Home: 21 Cross Street,
Weston ON Canada M9N 2B8