[B-Greek] Greek for kids

mabernathy714 at comcast.net mabernathy714 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 25 17:40:37 EDT 2006

I tutored my daughter when she took Greek so I'll give you some suggestions I found helpful.

First, you will find that there are a lot of Greek words that except for the ending are the same in Greek and English. Start with those. It's a great confidence booster when they recognize how many words they already know.

Second, and I apologize for this but it works, kids love to learn how to say things like "butt-head" in Greek. If you can translate some common English insults into Greek, the kids will never forget those words.

Third, come up with a number of instructions you can give the kids to follow in class. Stand, sit, pick up the book, run, etc. A Greek version of Simon Says forces the kids to respond quickly to the phrases you want them to learn.

Fourth, ask questions in Greek. You can start them with questions they can answer in English but as they progress require them to answer in Greek.

Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy
From: "Ken Penner" <ken.penner at acadiau.ca>