[B-Greek] Rm 9:7a Seed of Abraham or Children of Abraham

Oun Kwon kwonbbl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 22:09:38 EDT 2006

In his wonderful book 'Echoes of Scripture in the Letters of Paul' the
author (Richard Hays) gives a somewhat unusual rendering of Rm 9:7a to
make me confused.

OUD hOTI EISIN SPERMA ABRAAM PANTES TEKNA

<not all children of Abraham are 'seed'>.

I wonder what happened to 'hOTI'.  Since available English
translations differ from each other a little bit, I would like put my
questions into two to help me clarify:

1. Does ABRAAM modify SPERMA as 'seed of Abraham' or, does it modify
TEKNA as 'children of Abraham'?

2. Should I take PANTES TEKNA as a noun phrase as '(they are) all
children'? Or is it a clause with the verb lacking but implicit as
'all (are) children'?

This is the way I understand the text:

"Nor all are [to be] children [of God in promise], [just] because they
are seed of Abraham."

Thanks for your help.

Oun Kwon.