[B-Greek] Acts 10:48 (Was B-Greek Question)

Webb webb at selftest.net
Fri Apr 21 14:31:10 EDT 2006

Let's not forget that, in the mouths of the gospel writers, John was capable
of saying, "I baptized you". Paul also talks about having baptized some
people. So the physical process (does someone lay hands on the person being
baptized, lead them to the water, stand in the water with them, dunk them,
etc.) is not necessarily what is determinative of the meaning of the verb
here. The question is, in the terminology of the writer of Acts, is one
baptized by others, or does one baptize oneself? I think the former can be
asserted with confidence.
I think the writer intends to convey that Peter ordered Jewish Christians
standing there to baptize those who had received the message.
Webb Mealy