[B-Greek] MHDEN and DE

Bert de Haan b_dehaan at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 19 19:15:27 EDT 2006

Carl Conrad, you wrote on Wed, 19 Apr 2006  in relation to the thread -Re:
[B-Greek] Matt. 28:1 OPSE restored to "late" vs "before"-:

[quote]
In your post yesterday you attempted?
to relate DE to OUDEN and MHDEN, which would be valid enough for?
later and especially MODERN Greek, but which is altogether irrelevant?
to ancient Greek and the DE which is a standard connective/
contrastive particle in ancient Greek as far back as Homer.[end of quote]

I don't understand. You don't mean OUDE with a Nu movable do you? (I think
the Epsilon elides rather than a Nu getting added.) You must mean OUDEN as
the neuter of OUDEIS.  I am not sure what you meant by "...to relate DE to
OUDEN and MHDEN..."  I looked up MHDEN in Cunliffe, Middle Liddell and
Thayers and they all say something like (This is from Liddell;) MHD-EIS,
MHDE-MIA, MHD-EN, (i.e. MHDE hEIS, MHDE MIA, MHDE hEN.  And concerning MHDE
it says; MHDE. (MH, DE)

All this makes me think that you were not talking about an etymological
relationship because there does seem to be one.  Can you elaborate on what
you did mean?
Thanks.
Bert de Haan.