[B-Greek] Mt. 28:17 hOI DE EDISTASAN

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Tue Apr 18 11:28:59 EDT 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:56:30 -0400 Albert Pietersma
<albert.pietersma at sympatico.ca> writes:
> Sorry, George, to have to  demur. You take us back to where we
> started.
> I took the argument to be lexicographical in nature, even though
> both
> VE and DE are structure words rather than full lexemes. Thus the
> question is one of semantic range. Therefore, does the notion of
> contrast fall within the semantic range of VE? Hence would one
> include
> it in a dictionary entry as a semantic component? The answer is
> clearly
> NO.   Would one at times translate VE into English as "but" (etc.)?
> The
> answer is YES. Does that then means that VE includes the notion of
> contrast? The answer is clearly, NO. All it means is that  one draws
> on
> the larger context rather than specifically on VE.
> Al
>    On Apr 18, 2006, at 10:03 AM, George F Somsel wrote:
>
> > One last note regarding the snippet above.  I would not say that
> "We"
> > in
> > Hebrew "marks" a contrast (pace above) but I would say that it can
> be
> > used EITHER as a continuation or as a contrast (which is usually
> > understood from the context).  It requires "translating by the
> seat of
> > your pants" so to speak.  DE, on the other hand, does MARK a
> contrast
> > some extent though usually not a complete disjunction.
> >
> > george
> > gfsomsel
> >
>> Albert Pietersma
> Professor of Septuagint and Hellenistic Greek
> Near & Middle Eastern Civilizations
> University of Toronto
> Home: 21 Cross Street,
> Weston ON Canada M9N 2B8
> Email: albert.pietersma at sympatico.ca
> Homepage: http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~pietersm
__________

I refer you to Gesenius' _Hebrew_Grammar_ § 154

Waw copulativum?? (??) serves to connect two or more sentences, or single
words (on its various vocalization, cf. § 104 d–g). Its use, however, is
by no means restricted merely to joining sentences which are actually
co-ordinate. Frequently the language employs merely the simple connexion
by Waw, even to introduce an antithesis (Gn 17:21, 19:19, Lv 2:12, Jb
6:25, and very frequently in circumstantial noun-clauses), or when one of
the two clauses is not co-ordinated, but subordinated to the other.

Gesenius, F. W. (2003). Gesenius' Hebrew grammar (E. Kautzsch & S. A. E.
Cowley, Ed.) (2d English ed.) (484). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research
Systems, Inc.

See also Jouon-Muraoka, _A_Grammar_of_Biblical_Hebrew_, ii.646 ff.

george
gfsomsel