[B-Greek] Gal. 3:24,25 hINA

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Apr 15 16:58:52 EDT 2006

On Apr 15, 2006, at 4:17 PM, Mitch Larramore wrote:

> 24. hWSTE hO NOMOS PAIDAGWGOS hHMWN GEGONEN EIS
> CRISTON, hINA EK PISTEWS DIKAIWQWMEN
>
> 25. ELQOUSHS DE THS PISTEWS OUKETI hUPO PAIDAGWGON
> ESMEN
>
> Can someone help me understand where the hINA clause
> fits in with the sequence of events here? You have a
> time when hO NOMOS PAIDAGWGOS hHMWN GEGONEN. Then a
> time when ELQOUSHS DE THS PISTEWS. Does the hINA
> clause of verse 24 modify hO NOMOS PAIDAGWGOS hHMWN
> GEGONEN or ELQOUSHS DE THS PISTEWS (or perhaps even
> EIS CRISTON)?

The hINA clause of verse 24 serves ONLY to qualify the clause hO
NOMOS PAIDAGWGOS ... EIS CRISTON. Nor would I endeavor to distinguish
some particular element of that clause as the one qualified by the
hINA clause; rather it qualifies the whole clause. While verse 25 is
part of the same Greek PERIODOS, it shifts the focus: that's what the
DE very clearly does here.

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/