[B-Greek] ORQOTOMEW in 2 Tim 2:15

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Apr 12 22:56:10 EDT 2006

On Apr 12, 2006, at 9:32 PM, frjsilver at optonline.net wrote:

> Dear Friends --
>
> I'd like to point out that, in the Divine Liturgy, just at the end
> of the anaphora, we pray for the episcopate, asking that the
> bishops 'rightly mete out the word of Your truth' -- taken directly
> from this verse.  (We sing the Bible in the services.)

It would appear that you haven't looked at the series of blog entries
at Better Bible Blog to which I pointed in the first message of this
thread, or perhaps you didn't find that lengthy discussion very
illuminating.

> In prechristian Greek, ORQOTOMEW is used in many contexts, but the
> cutting of cloth stands out.  A Russian proverb says 'Measure seven
> times, since you can cut only once.'

Can you cite an instance of that usage for cutting cloth in pre-
Christian Greek? I don't have access to the TLG disk to check
instances, but LSJ has a very meager entry on the word. BDAG points
rather to usage with road-building.