[B-Greek] DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU - Rom. 3.22

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Sun Apr 9 18:42:28 EDT 2006

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 14:00:53 -0600 "virgil newkirk"
<virgilsalvage1 at msn.com> writes:

> Mitch wrote,
>

> > There seems to be considerable debate about whether or
> > not the Subjective or Objective is to be understood
> > with this expression. My interest is almost elsewhere,
> > however. Can the expression "faith in/toward Christ"
> > (where a person's faith is directed toward Christ) be
> > expressed in Greek unambiguously?
>

> Mitch,
>
> I would say...absolutely !
>
> An example for say a number of people; in some moment coming with
> faith
> in/toward Christ:
>
> PISTEUOUSI EIS TON CRISTON
>
> or you, Mitch:
>
> PISTEUEIS EIS TON CRISTON
>
> or us all:
>
> PISTEUOMEN EIS TON CRISTON
>
> These are surely examples of simply, plainly and without ambiguity
> expressing the concept of faith in/toward Christ.
>
> In Romans 3:22 TOUS PISTEUONTAS by the act of believing...grants
> them access
> to, I would say, whatever is contained in DIA PISTEWS CRISTOU, which
> in turn
> gives them access to DIKAIOSUNH QEOU; if not so, or if DIA PISTEWS
> IHSOU
> CRISTOU indicates plainly (faith in Christ) what need would there be
> for EIS
> PANTAS KAI EPI PANTAS TOUS PISEUONTAS ?
>

> Much like Abraham firstly believed...then entered into what was
> represented
> by his taking Isaac to the mountain...all this  then resulting in
> his being
> granted the DIKAIONSUNH QEOU....all in their order. Interesting how
> here in
> Romans 3:22 we see the order presented in reverse. The prize...the
> means...the initial entrance.
>

> Virgil Newkirk
> Salt Lake City
____________

EIS TON XRISTON never appears in the NT as a qualification of the verb
PISTEUW.  In 2 Cor 11.3 we find

FOBOUMAI DE MH PWS, hWS hO OFIS ECEPATHSEN EUAN EN THi PANOURGIAi AUTOU,
FQARHi TA NOHMATA hUMWN APO THS hAPOLTHTOS [KAI THS hAGNOTHTOS] THS EIS
TON XRISTON

It does appear in Acts 19.4 in the Byz Maj and TR texts which have EIS
TON XRISTON, but not in the critical texts which have IHSOUN rather than
XRISTON

hINA PISTEUSWSIN, TOUT' ESTIN EIS TON IHSOUN.

Of course, one might say that this is virtually the same thing.

george
gfsomsel