[B-Greek] DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU - Rom. 3.22

virgil newkirk virgilsalvage1 at msn.com
Sun Apr 9 16:00:53 EDT 2006

Mitch wrote,

> There seems to be considerable debate about whether or
> not the Subjective or Objective is to be understood
> with this expression. My interest is almost elsewhere,
> however. Can the expression "faith in/toward Christ"
> (where a person's faith is directed toward Christ) be
> expressed in Greek unambiguously?

Mitch,

I would say...absolutely !

An example for say a number of people; in some moment coming with faith
in/toward Christ:

PISTEUOUSI EIS TON CRISTON

or you, Mitch:

PISTEUEIS EIS TON CRISTON

or us all:

PISTEUOMEN EIS TON CRISTON

These are surely examples of simply, plainly and without ambiguity
expressing the concept of faith in/toward Christ.

In Romans 3:22 TOUS PISTEUONTAS by the act of believing...grants them access
to, I would say, whatever is contained in DIA PISTEWS CRISTOU, which in turn
gives them access to DIKAIOSUNH QEOU; if not so, or if DIA PISTEWS IHSOU
CRISTOU indicates plainly (faith in Christ) what need would there be for EIS
PANTAS KAI EPI PANTAS TOUS PISEUONTAS ?

Much like Abraham firstly believed...then entered into what was represented
by his taking Isaac to the mountain...all this  then resulting in his being
granted the DIKAIONSUNH QEOU....all in their order. Interesting how here in
Romans 3:22 we see the order presented in reverse. The prize...the
means...the initial entrance.

Virgil Newkirk
Salt Lake City