[B-Greek] Matthew 28:17: hOI DE EDISTASAN

Albert & Julia Haig albert_and_julia at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 8 08:03:11 EDT 2006

Hello!

KAI IDONTES AUTON PROSEKUNHSAN, hOI DE EDISTASAN

The last phrase of this verse seems to be always rendered, "but some doubted". My question is, why can't it be translated "and they doubted", or "but they were also of two minds". Is there any grammatical reason? Is it just because it is assumed that you can't both worship and doubt simultaneously? I think you might be able to. Put this in context: the disciples seem the risen Jesus, they are totally amazed and overcome with awe, they worship him. Couldn't they also have had a great deal of doubt about what this all meant?

Where are the translators getting the concept of "some" from? If the author of Matthew wanted to say "some", couldn't he have used TINES, as he does in 27:47 for instance? Are we just reluctant to admit that the disciples might have had their doubts, too?

All the best,

Dr Albert Haig.