[B-Greek] The Grace of the Lord Jesus ... or Lord of Jesus

Van Parunak van.parunak at altarum.org
Fri Apr 7 12:25:07 EDT 2006

Another consideration suggesting the correctness of the traditional
rendering is that we only have KURIOU IHSOU, never KURIOS IHSOU or
KURION IHSOU. In other words, if "Lord of Jesus" were a title of God,
one might expect it to be attested with KURIOS in cases other than
genitive, but whenever the lexemes KURIOS and IHSOUS appear adjacent
in this order, they always take the same case (at least in the
nominative and accusative; the vocative and dative of IHSOUS are the
same surface form as the gentive).

Randy Buth will remind me of the danger of arguing from negative data
(shalom Randy--me olam lo hitraenu), but I think in this case (56
instances of KURIOx IHSOUx in the to Bibleworks BNM db, attesting all
five cases of KURIOS) the data are sufficient to make the point.

Van

At 12:00 PM 4/7/2006, Dan Gleason wrote:

>Rev 22:21 ... H XARIS TOU KURIOU IHSOU META PANTWN
>
>Is there ambiguity in this sentence?
>
>Most bibles translate this as:
>The Grace of the Lord Jesus be with all.
>
>Since IHSOU is genitive singular can the sentence also be translated as:
>The Grace of the Lord of Jesus be with all.
>
>Could the phrase "the Lord of Jesus" be seen as a title of God?
>
>Dan Gleason

Dr. H. Van Dyke Parunak, Chief Scientist, NewVectors LLC
van.parunak at altarum.org  www.newvectors.net/staff/parunakv
v: +1 734 302 4684       f: +1 734 302 4991
NewVectors LLC
3520 Green Court, Suite 300
Ann Arbor, MI 48105-1579