[B-Greek] SUMMAXA in ApocSedr 8:5(4)

R Yochanan Bitan Buth ybitan at mscc.huji.ac.il
Sun Jul 31 16:02:14 EDT 2005

> EAN MOI EIPHiS, KALWS ME SUMAXA SE

Shalom Ken,

An answer depends on the character of the text that you are looking
at.

Is it a manuscript, a transcription? An edited, polished text? How
tight is the spelling elsewhere? What kind of dialectical forms have
you been seeing?

For example, one could reconstruct an 'A' infinitive by adding 'Qeta':

ME SUMMAXA~SQE  sounds identical with

ME SUMMAXA~SQAI

However, the ancient word has an 'E' vowel and Josephus uses

SUMMAXEI~N  (with -E- and 'active' pattern plus dative).

SUMMAXA ('A' contract 2s middle, does not explain SE. Perhaps a
missing 'N" infinitive = SUMMAXAN?)

I don't have Lampe nor a rigorous modern Greek dictionary at home. The
accusative ME is another problem because it should be MOI with the
meaning 'to be my ally, to help me'. You might check medieval Greek to
see if the accusative ever gives an antagonistic sense 'to fight
against me'? If not, then we may be looking at an accusative
substitution for the waning dative, but correctly used in the 'EAN
MOI' clause.

Sorry I can't help more.

ERRWSO

Randall Buth

Randall Buth, PhD

Director, Biblical Language Center

www.biblicalulpan.org

and Director, Biblical Studies in Israel

Hebrew University, Rothberg International School

ybitan at mscc.huji.ac.il