[B-Greek] Eph. 5:15 PW=S

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Sun Jul 31 12:50:08 EDT 2005

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:09:34 -0400 <bertdehaan at sympatico.ca> writes:
> BLEPETE OUN AKRIBWS PWS PERIPATEITE, Watch carefully how you walk,
> Is this a normal use for the word PWS?
> I thought that PWS introduces a question and I would have expected
> maybe WS here.
> I don't have BDAG (yet) but I looked in Middel Liddell under PWS and
> WS, but I did not find a clear example under either for this usage.
> Thanks in advance.
> Bert de Haan.
_______________

Bert,

First I corrected your translit.  Nun is 'N' not 'V' even though the 'V'
has the appearance of the nun.

Here is the relevant section from BDAG

? in object clauses, after verbs of apprehension that perhaps, lest
somehow w. aor. subj. after FOBEISQAI (Test. Zeb. 4:2; ParJer 5:5) Ac
27:29 v.l.; 2 Cor 11:3; 12:20a; cp. vs. 20b, where the verb (GENWNTAI) is
to be supplied. W. ind. GJs 14:1; fut. 9:2 end. After BLEPETE take care
that … not somehow 1 Cor 8:9 (cp. Sir 28:26). Referring to someth. that
has already taken place, w. perf. ind. Gal 4:11 (B-D-F §370, 1; Rob. 995;
1169). Elliptically M. OUDE SOU FEISETAI (it is to be feared) that
perhaps he will not spare you, either Ro 11:21. M. EPEIRASEN hUMAS hO
PEIRAZWN KAI EIW KENON GENHTA hO KOPOS hHMWN (in the fear) that the
tempter might really have tempted you (ind., as Gal 4:11 above), and then
our work might have been in vain 1 Th 3:5. MHPWS TOUTO PANOURGOS EDWKEN
SOI lest some mischief-maker has given it to you GJs 2:3. M. PERIGELOS
become a laughing-stock 9:2.

george
gfsomsel