[B-Greek] SUMMAXA in ApocSedr 8:5(4)

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Sun Jul 31 12:37:22 EDT 2005

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:57:17 -0300 Ken Penner <pennerkm at mcmaster.ca>
writes:
> I should have noted I'm not stumped about the translation, only about
>
> the morphology. It's something like, "If you [can] answer me, you
> rightly challenge me."
>
> Ken Penner
>
> I wrote:
> > I'm stumped on the following phrase in the Apocalypse of Sedrach
> 8:5:
> > ??? µ?? e?p??, ?a??? µe s?µa?? se
> > EAN MOI EIPHiS, KALWS ME SUMAXA SE

Would SUMAXA not be a defective form of SUMMAXOMAI?  If so, then would it
not be more like "If you tell me, then you will correctly ally yourself
with me."  It should be pres 2s and could be either ind. or subj.  It
would appear to be doubly (trebly?) defective in lacking a second 'M'
which would occur from the conjunction of SUN + MAXOMAI and is apparently
understood as being from SUMAXAOMAI then it also lacks the iota
subscript.

george
gfsomsel