[B-Greek] pronunciation and accents...for a new guy

North Dude northdude7 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 24 02:14:38 EDT 2005

I'm so pleased to find this list and to have been accepted.  I am a new student of koine Greek, and I'm very enthusiastic.  I've been using Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek, and I'm making good progress.  Since I'm already bi-lingual in another language and well-acquainted with grammar, I'm not having a hard time.  My question is this: are accents really important to learn?  I am having a hard time remembering whether to use grave, accute, or circumflex accents, even on words I have learned.  Do I need to "tough it out" and learn those accents carefully?  Or is this something I can let slide a little?
            My second question is this: what pronunciation is commonly used by koine Greek language learners?  I'm sorry, but pronouncing the omicron like a short o sound (as in not) just sticks in my throat  (for example, having hO LOGOS sounding like "haw law-gaws"), but if I use the long o sound, then how do I keep straight when it's an omicron and when it's an omega?  Trying to use modern Greek pronunciation is even worse, with so many letters sounding alike and no recognition of rough breathing marks.  So what do you all do?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Troy L. Fullerton