[B-Greek] A Greek Pedagogical Question

Norbert Rennert norbert_rennert at sil.org
Sat Jul 23 02:05:48 EDT 2005

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your encouraging remarks and also your constructive
criticism. The 5 stories come from a textbook called "Let's study Greek"
and they were obviously written for paper, which is not dynamic. When I
was working on putting them into my site, I struggled with how to manage
the actors in those stories. My script can change singular actors to
plural, but the stories from the text book had both singular and plural
main and secondary actors in each story. Thus, I had to devise a way to
manually tweak each occurence of an actor to be able to 'switch off' the
pluralizing or the singularizing. But this involves manual tweaking and
can be more confusing when you are dealing with arcane code. The ideal
would be to write a story with only singular actors and let the script
manage the plurals. I am still contemplating rewriting the existing
stories, but in the last several weeks I haven't been working on my
Greek site. At any rate, the potential exists to be able to write
stories that are not confusing in the point you have validly raised.  I
hope that other Greek experts will be able to look beyond the occasional
errors that still exist in these stories and see the potential this site
has to produce a lot of graded reading material which can develop
reading fluency and reinforce the learning of paradigms as well as other
points of grammar. I might add that the script does not change the
syntax, so you can write sentences in any way you wish or that Greek
allows to illustrate the way Greek can be written.

Norbert Rennert
Canada Institute of Linguistics
Langley, BC

http://www3.telus.net/norbertre/Greek05.html