[B-Greek] A Greek Pedagogical Question

Bob Firth r.firth at ridley.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Jul 23 01:22:52 EDT 2005

Hi Norbert,

Norbert Rennert wrote:

>Seeing as there is no beginner level language material for koine Greek,
>why not compose short simple stories and develop a reading curriculum
>for it now? What is wrong with that? I know that it is not attested
>ancient Greek, the student would probably also know that, but so what.

>Each story can be changed into more than 100 combinations, thus greatly leveraging the amount of appropriate reading level practise a student can read.

I agree that this would be very helpful for learning greek. However, I
find that the stories on your site often become nonsensical when they
are changed from their original forms. E.g. in the first story
"Greetings" if you use a 1st person secondary actor then the same person
appear to be called both Mark and Nicodemus. And I don't think I found
any combinations where the second story "The Menu is Fruit" that made
sense. I think that simple greek reading is a great way for beginners to
learn, but if the stories aren't sensible and cohesive then this will
destroy this aim, confusing readers rather than helping them to see the
variations in grammar in a natural context.

Bob

PS I am happy to give you more constructive feedback about your site,
off list.

--
Bob Firth studies at Ridley College
Melbourne, Australia