[B-Greek] A Greek Pedagogical Question

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at ioa.com
Fri Jul 22 08:28:23 EDT 2005

On Jul 21, 2005, at 5:38 PM, Elizabeth Kline wrote:

> Randall Buth wrote:
>

>> ... linguists can attest that much of what speakers say 'about' a
>> language is not often valid when it comes to explanation. The bizarre
>> side appears when an adult language user can give either a
>> theoretical
>> or a popular explanation about a structure but cannot fluently use it
>> or understand it when hearing it at normal conversational speeds. I
>> don't advocate analyzing a structure as a doorway into fluency.
>>

> Why is this bizarre? Can a typical NT translation consultant order
> a meal in
> Koine? Was fluency even a goal in their professional training?

No, of course not. But for my part I think Randall is right to think
that fluency
OUGHT to be a goal for any professional who works with NT Greek --
and that
Randall's pedagogy is probably more successful than most of what
serves as
NT Greek instruction in making that goal achievable. But the real
scandal is the
6-week (or less!) cram courses in Beginning Greek that so many
seminaries
make the only prerequisite for courses in exegesis.

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/