[B-Greek] A Greek Pedagogical Question

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Fri Jul 22 07:01:54 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elizabeth Kline" <kline-dekoning at earthlink.net>
To: "greek" <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 5:38 PM
Subject: [B-Greek] A Greek Pedagogical Question

> Randall Buth wrote:
>
>> ... linguists can attest that much of what speakers say 'about' a
>> language is not often valid when it comes to explanation. The bizarre
>> side appears when an adult language user can give either a theoretical
>> or a popular explanation about a structure but cannot fluently use it
>> or understand it when hearing it at normal conversational speeds. I
>> don't advocate analyzing a structure as a doorway into fluency.
>
> Why is this bizarre? Can a typical NT translation consultant order a meal in
> Koine? Was fluency even a goal in their professional training?

I believe reading fluency should at the very least be the goal.  If that is the
goal, then the goals for which people usually learn Greek (as a tool language
for better understanding a body of literature) are far more easily met.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Adjunct Faculty, The Center for Urban Theological Studies
         Philadelphia, PA
http://www.cuts.edu
Visiting Faculty, Reformed Theological Seminary
         Washington, D.C.
http://www.rts.edu/campuses/washington_dc/index.cfm

And me:
http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry/

Opinions expressed by author of this message do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of the institutions listed above...