[B-Greek] A Greek Pedagogical Question

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at ioa.com
Thu Jul 21 07:48:54 EDT 2005

On Jul 21, 2005, at 6:25 AM, Barry wrote:

> [...]

I don't know how much point there is in saying "Amen!" to this, but I
will. It's related
to what I said yesterday in my original response to the question:
I've seen too many
students who were readily able to recite the paradigms and the rules
but couldn't
read Greek; some could even properly identify the verb-forms but
couldn't then tell
more than vaguely what that verb-form means.

I think this observation is somewhat parallel to what Aristotle says
at the opening of his
Nicomachean Ethics: moral philosophy cannot nor was it intended to
improve or inculcate
good morals; rather its function is to help good persons understand
what the goodness
which they have learned already is all about. One must have good
behavior before one
can understand good behavior. The parallel with respect to learning
Greek is that the
grammars are of greatest utility to those who already can read Greek
but want to get
behind usage to the "why's" of usage.

> Opinions expressed by author of this message do not necessarily
> reflect the
> opinions of the institutions listed above...

And to paraphrase that, I might almost say that opinions expressed by
the author in this
message do not necessarily reflect the opinions which he has
expressed in the past.
Consistency ain't all it's cracked up to be!

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/